Downtown Cleveland from the Summit of Gildersleeve Mountain

June 7, 2007, But it is a Dry Heat

The weather forecast was accurate for once. Sunny with highs in the upper 80’s I love this sort of weather. To me it is just right. It is cooler here on the higher elevations and as I drive down my street I can actually feel the temperature drop. In the woods it is even cooler. I flush the Woodcock again, but it lands just a few yards away. Visibility is only about 20 miles and the summit of Gildersleeve Mountain is very quiet.

Before I left for my hike we ran out of electricity. A neighbor tells me it is just our street. My computer is running on batteries so I need to keep my comments brief.

It is worth noting that while fixing food, I was surprised when a bird hit the kitchen window where I was working. A fledgling European Starling. Very unwelcome. It looks at me then drops to the peak of the roof of the enclosed part of the patio below. Another joins it and they both do the feed me wing flutter. I see the suet feeder has been picked clean. How odd. Even the Starlings know I am the one who puts out food. I ignore them. One hits the widow again, hard, then they fly off.