Downtown Cleveland from the Summit of Gildersleeve Mountain

June 5, 2007 An Embarrassment of Beauty

It is cold and wet today. 56 degrees, not unexpected, but not usual either. My walk is completely unremarkable. Visibility is better than it has been in a week, about 30 miles, but there is more activity in my yard than anywhere else on Gildersleeve Mountain. The flowers and birds in my yard exceed anything in the area. At this moment 2 male Rose-breasted Grosbeaks are on the feeder by the library window. A Red-bellied Woodpecker and 2 Juncos wait their turn.

My neighbors do not have birds or flowers or ferns or bugs to any extent. They have lawns like shag carpet, trimmed shrubs and mulched beds. I have Iris, and Peonies, Anemones, Clover and Ironweed. Ferns that rise in 3 foot high bunches. More Hostas than I can count. Cranesbills and Azelias, Lilies yet to bloom. I can honestly say it was not always this way. Yes some of the plants are the result of cultivation. The Ferns, Hostas, Iris, Peony, and Lilies are originally the result of my mom’s efforts. But other flowers, the Anemones, Cransbills, Columbine and Hyacinth. The explosion of ferns and hostas to new places, the additional Peonies, the Iris where they have never been before. These are the result of letting things go. Not applying chemicals, letting the bugs and Chipmunks have their way. Not weeding! Some plants need the shelter of others to thrive. Others do not look like much until they bloom. How can one tell what should stay and what should go?

I think every suburban yard could be filled with wild flowers in just 5 years. But the sacrifice would be too great. No chemicals, no mulch, an untidy look, a lawn of clover and rye. Oh, and bugs! yes bugs! Ants and wasps and bees and flies and spiders. Ick!

Sometimes a neighbor will ask if they can pick some flowers. “OK” I say, “but only if I am here. I want to supervise.” My yard is not a greenhouse, not the florist. “But you are not here when I come by.” "Too bad, then grow your own." Sometimes I want to make a deal. If you quit applying all chemicals to your yard, quit weeding, I will bring you a bouquet every week of the spring and summer. I’ll give you 10 to 1 they wont take that deal.

My yard has such an abundance of beauty, but it is very unconventional. It is the sort of yard the people at Scott's-Miracle Grow, have nightmares about.