Downtown Cleveland from the Summit of Gildersleeve Mountain

June 17, 2007 Hobbled

Early on the hike yesterday I tripped and hyper extended my big and second toe. It hurt a bit yesterday but overnight it swelled and became obvious that I had sprained my big toe. What a silly injury! It has me hobbled today. I am at least smart enough to realize I need to rest today and not aggo the injury.

It is so beautiful. Hard to just sit around. Just watch the feeders and the yard . Nothing exceptional. I have noticed the hummingbird has some favorite roosts. I can hear the buzzing of the hummingbird’s wings at an amazing distance. 30 yards or so. We watch the Chipmunks. They are so cute. Fun to watch as the scurry to and fro. I know from bitter experience tree squirrels cannot be trusted. I wonder about ground squirrels like a Chipmunk? Are they more trustworthy?

Oh well, a few days without hiking. I would rather take a few days off than spend weeks nursing an injury like this.