Downtown Cleveland from the Summit of Gildersleeve Mountain

June 6, 2007 An Uncommon Day.

The day is cool clear and dry. Everyone in the neighborhood, me included, have our lawn machines out. It is noisy as a result. Soon after starting the lawn, I spot a large dragonfly working low over the grass on the shady side of the house. I net it. I am surprised I was able to catch it on my first try. Probably the cool weather and the shade. After taking pictures, with the dragonfly safely on a plant, I finish the lawn.

With my pictures I manage to get to the right page in Dragonflies and Damselflies of Northeast Ohio. When it comes to dragonflies I am a neophyte. I barely can separate the families and 90% of my experience is the darners and skimmers. The dragonfly in question is my first spiketail, a Dual-spotted Spiketail. Female because she has an obvious ovipositor. The book says this is an uncommon species in the region.

My curiosity satisfied, I take a hike. Sans weights today. At first all I can hear are the lawn machines. On the summit of Gildersleeve mountain it is a bit more peaceful. Visibility is uncommon. More than 50 miles. I can see detail on the Avon Power plant 40 miles away. A little bit north of the old quarry I hear a Black-throated Blue Warbler. This is very late and unusual for this species in the region. Also a Hermit Thrush. This is along a ledge system with Hemlock Hardwood forest. Very interesting. I had Black-throated Blue near hear last June. When I get home I look up the date. June 6. Interesting symmetry. It is really cool in the woods and I wish I had a jacket as I make my way home. Only 61 degrees. The forecast is for much warmer weather tomorrow. We will see.