Downtown Cleveland from the Summit of Gildersleeve Mountain

June 19, 2007 “Much Needed” Rain

Thunderstorms have me stuck inside. I am glad I got the lawn cut yesterday. I am surprised at how quickly my foot is improving. A day of rest, plus traction to stretch the toe really helped. Coming home it was cool to see the thunderstorms coming over. The scud rolling over Gildersleeve mountain in the distance

Even in the rain the birds visit the feeders. I would like to get out and look around the yard, but the thunderstorms are going to last a while. While it has been dry, nothing is withering. Whenever rainfall goes below the average people say the rain is needed. They have little understanding of what normal weather is. They also have a misconception about how often soil needs to have the water replenished. Our soil was completely saturated in April into May and was still several weeks from drying out.

Once the rain lets up and am able to get outside, I realize how many fledglings are around. Chickadees, Bluebirds, Titmice, Nuthatches. No baby Juncos yet.

A section in the back yard is full of foam flowers. White, pink and deep red. It gets cool as the evening falls. Fireflies are out for the first time this year. A lovely mid summers night.