Downtown Cleveland from the Summit of Gildersleeve Mountain

June 13, 2007 Crows Harass a Young Owl

We have had a string of beauty days. Today adds another. To me, the temperature in the low 80’s is just perfect. In the woods Hooded Warblers, and Scarlet Tanagers are singing loudly.

On my side of the summit the crows have found a young Barred Owl in a tree in the ledges. It is close to the trunk and among branches with leaves so it is safe, but the Crows are vociferous. They caw loudly to their clan attempting to increase the number of individuals involved in the boisterous mobbing. I move on and the noise subsides with both distance and activity.

Visibility is hazy and barely 18 miles. The horizon is lost in a light gray haze.

Lots of people again today. I wonder what has changed? It makes no sense to me why for several weeks with nice weather there has been little human activity, but now in the past few days there has been a noticeable increase? Of course I don’t know if the change is really significant. I may be seeing a trend that does not really exist. If I really wanted to track this I would have to consistently take my hike at the same time and count the people. After a while I could determine the true limits of the system. I suspect what I am observing is within the normal distribution.