Downtown Cleveland from the Summit of Gildersleeve Mountain

Notes On an Unreportable Bird

These are my field notes on the catharus enigmus, described in the previous post. I hope readers will understand the true spirt of putting this information up for general scrutiny. To not do it, would be contrary to the purpose of this endeavor. I am also posting my field notes here, to give readers an idea of the difficulty of finding a rare bird. In this case without documentary photos, and given my lack of experience with this species. I do not feel there is enough evidence to submit this sighting to the OBRC or the Cleveland Bird Calendar.

Unlike some people I know, I could care less if my name is attached to a particular record. I just write them up and send them in. If I don't do it right away, I will forget later. In the case of this bird, I feel I should report it. So it is on the books. If it is later found that this species is more common in migration than previously believed, the information may be useful. But I wont. The pressure in field ornithology is to support the dogma. Unless you have strong evidence, reporting might damage your reputation and integrity. The idea that someone might be motivated only by the purpose of adding a bit of knowledge to the pile is simply not accepted.