Downtown Cleveland from the Summit of Gildersleeve Mountain

May 25, 2007 Rain and Thunder

I could smell the coming rain as I was driving home. Smell is a sense we tend to discount and ignore. Sure the sky was darkening, but the air had a different smell as well. The rain started as I was pulling into the driveway. 10 minutes later is was heavy and there was thunder. A Tufted Titmouse sits under the eaves on the feeder to stay dry. As I sit down the bird just give me a glance. Unworried about my presence.

I decide to sit in the living room and watch the rain through the large window. After the rain lets up a male Baltimore Oriole comes to the window. It lands on the sill and checks me out. Eyeing me. After a minute he flies back to into the spruce tree.

While the rain is now past it is still cloudy and wet. I will not take a hike. My concern of yesterday evening is realized.