Downtown Cleveland from the Summit of Gildersleeve Mountain

April 30, 2007

Another beauty day. 2 in a row here is nothing short of a gift. I can see the clouds coming in from the west from the look out. It is very clear. Visibility over 30 miles.The forest out to the lake is noticeably green. The lake reflects blue sky and white clouds. An ore boat heads west almost on the horizon. A Yellow-rumped Warbler hangs around in a tree at the edge of the ledges. A Turkey Vulture turns soars in big circles out a quarter mile away.

Coming back through the woods I hear a Hermit Thrush. I do not see anything . Too much noise. Lawn mowers, blaring music, barking dogs. We are such a noisy species.

In my yard a Piliated swoops over and lands on a tree 10 yards away. In a moment it flies to the base of another tree next to my patio, still just as close to me. It is Mrs. Piliated. She begins to strip bark from the tree then pecks at the punky wood, finding good things to eat. Mr. Piliated flies in and lands on the same tree. He hangs around for a minute or so then heads back into the woods. Mrs. is intent on eating. Not paying attention to me. I move slowly and quietly. My arms crossed on my chest, not looking directly at the bird. Soon, I halve the distance. 15 feet then 10. Still she pays me no heed. The neighbor women are having a huge fight. Lots of yelling and swearing and threats of calling the police. Mr. Piliated begins calling from the distance. A rising: “kack-kack-kack-kack-kack-kack” repeated several times. She moves up the tree but still does not see me as any sort of threat. I am not. My mind is quiet. I am so close I can see her tongue flick into the holes, pulling out food. Now I am 7 feet away and sitting on a chair. She continues to feed. I watch for a while not thinking, just enjoying being so close to this usually wary bird.

I wonder about the time, I have things to do. The spell is broken my mind no longer quiet. She sees me and climbs high in the tree. I withdraw and quietly go inside. I look out the window she flies off in the direction of the male.