Downtown Cleveland from the Summit of Gildersleeve Mountain

May 4, 2007

Another day that is just beauty. What a wonderful string of lovely days. Yet I have not been able to enjoy them. Work and the realities of daily living intervene. Going shopping, preparing to have friends over, all take time. There is only so much daylight and no one has unlimited energy.

Bird activity is at a lull. No movement, no activity at the feeders as I write. I wonder why? There is no singing either. It is silent except for the sounds of human activity. I suspect a cat. Earlier I saw a flat faced, tom, orange, tabby, with the ears of a feral fighter. When I stared at him he beat a quick retreat.

When I go out front there is only a Brown-headed Cowbird high in a Oak in the next yard. The House Finches see me come out and stir from the spruces. Along the side of the house the Bluebirds serenade. In back it is very still. Then a few White-throated Sparrows venture out. A Red-bellied Woodpecker calls. Some quick movement to one of the feeders.

No sign of the cat. If I see it again I will get out the trap and take it to the humane society.

While I love all life, I have no qualms about removing exotics from the environment. The introduced species, plant or animal do tremendous harm when they are able to adapt to a new environment.

In North America, 3 introduced bird species have wreaked havoc. The House Sparrow, European Starling, and Mute Swan. For some reason House Sparrows are in decline here, away from the more urban environment. Starlings are also not doing as well. Perhaps the native species are adapting to their presence after more than 100 years. Perhaps the natives are learning to compete and strike back. We are not so fortunate with Mute Swans. They are increasing alarmingly and driving native waterfowl out.

Cats are another matter. Both feral and domestic cats outside kill countless birds each year.