Downtown Cleveland from the Summit of Gildersleeve Mountain

May 9, 2007

Another cloudy day in Cleveland. I am being sarcastic of course. Even though it is technically cloudy the shadows are sharp and the sun is bright. There was little of note on my hike except a dragonfly along the ledges. An odd place for a dragonfly. I did not get a good look except to see it was small, around 2 inches and had a pattern on the segments of its’ abdomen. Not a darner because it did not have a pinched waist.

This morning I found a dead Chickadee on the walk near the feeder in front. Something had killed and eaten the little bird. It was not dismembered as a cat would do, and just the breast was consumed. I suspect the Shrew or a Weasel.

I left the carcass near the site as a warning for the other birds to take care.