Downtown Cleveland from the Summit of Gildersleeve Mountain

April 9, 2007

The thaw is on. The day got sunny and the snow is melting. On the lower elevations the grass was not even covered. Here the snow depth shrank from about 2 feet to less than a foot. Settling and melting and ground that is not frozen make the snow go away fast.

Fox Sparrows continue in the yard. I counted 4 at once today. Nice to have them around for a few days. A very nice male E. Towhee in the tree as I write. When I got home the Cardinal was singing loud and clear from high in a tree. I hope this spring snow is past.

Not that I want summer yet. Although I love hot weather I also like the change of seasons. An April with highs in the low 50’s turning into the 60’s in may is fine with me. I don’t like to see the leaves on the trees to early. Much easier to see the migrants when there are no leaves to hide among.