Downtown Cleveland from the Summit of Gildersleeve Mountain

April 21, 2007

Another beauty day. My first Chipping Sparrow of the season. The trees and plants are not showing much progress but I found my first blooming Dog-tooth violets. Gorgeous yellow flowers.

Up on the summit of Gildersleeve, the May Apples seem to be recovering, but there is little evidence of budding or leaves anywhere in the woods. Looking out the lake is a pretty blue. It is clear and I can see well beyond downtown. A female Sharpie wings over, a Robin in her talons, she drops into the forest to the northeast. I might watch that area from a rock further along to see if I can actually see the nest.

Coming home I scare up a bird taking a bath in the creek. It pops into a tree and wags its’ tail. The Phoebe! Good. I was listening for it this morning.

In the house I hear a huge helicopter coming. I go out front and a CH-47 comes right over, low. The heavy rapid thumping scares everything. The Bluebird dives into the arborvitae, the Juncos scatter into the low shrubs. As the helo passes and things get quite, the birds come back out.