Downtown Cleveland from the Summit of Gildersleeve Mountain

April 12, 2007

Another cold gray rainy day. The snow is nearly gone with just patches on the grass and in the woods. The grass is greening but the daffodils, now uncovered, are drooping, still wilted from the cold. Back in the woods the world is still brown white and shades of gray. Snow is predicted for tonight but without accumulation.

I haven’t seen the Phoebe for a few days. I have not had a lot of time to look, but I decided to check the holly, arborvitae , and juniper in frond of the house where it liked to hang out incase it was claimed by the cold. No Phoebe. Just a Chickadee tail feather. Worn and probably the result of molt. The Chickadees, didn’t like my poking around. Their dee dees were quick. But I think 3 dees indicate a threat while 2 just indicate annoyance. They sometimes land on my head when I am filling the feeder so I doubt I am perceived as a threat. I still wonder about the Phoebe, maybe it decided survival was more important than territory and headed for warmer weather.

No sign of the Fox Sparrows either. It is getting to be time for them to move on. A pair of Tufted Titmice were mating on the feeder. It seems their hormone cycle is unaffected by the weather.

The deep snow and the rain plus dark skies have kept me inside the last several days. I am itching to get out.

Suddenly the guys are gone. No movement whatsoever in the yard. I go out to investigate. There is no sound except the wind. No movement, everyone is hiding and quiet. The bushes that are usually filled with birds waiting to stage to feeders are empty. I go around the back of the house and a Coop (Cooper’s Hawk) flushes from a beech tree. A Nuthatch is the first to sound the all clear. A Cardinal then joins in. A Morning Dove flies over and the House Finches begin moving in the spruces in front. The sky is getting darker because of the clouds. The evening is early today. I have to turn on the light. An hour earlier than when it is sunny. In the distance to the north, over the lower elevations I can see the sky is lighter. If there were leaves on the trees I would not be able to see so far.