Downtown Cleveland from the Summit of Gildersleeve Mountain

April 10, 2007

Sunny and 45. The snow continues to melt, but no open patches of grass yet. Listening to the radio Julie Zicafoos is on the radio being interviewed about how the cold is effecting the birds. It is encouraging to hear her say she doesn’t know. Also interesting to hear of Tree Swallows and Martens in Wisconsin. While there amy be a few back here they are not very visible on the high elevations. Down at the lake there may be more. In Southern Ohio the Bluebirds are already sitting on eggs. Here they have yet to choose a nest site.

I wonder how the Phoebe is doing? I got a quick view of it yesterday as it dashed through the shrubs. The Fox Sparrows are around for yet another day.

The deep snow has precluded any walking outside. I have been threatening to get some snow shoes. They would have been nice yesterday afternoon. Today a walk would require my high boots as the seeps in the wood would be wet and muddy.

Outdoor footwear is an interesting subject. In this part of the world, people who spend a lot of time in the field prefer high rubber boots. The kind that have a shank in the sole and good treads. The kind people who finish concrete wear. They seem to work well as we have a lot of mud and water. Along the lake or in the woods or in the river valleys. A couple of pairs of heavy socks and you are OK. They don’t breath so wearing them all day for several days in a row is not advisable. I get a rash on my legs when I do. But for a few hours to half a day in the field they offer the best compromise of waterproof, good traction and good support. They are not expensive either. I have had the pair I use for more than 10 years. They could use some roughing of the treads for better traction but are otherwise in great shape. They work in snow, mud, running water, rock or any combination there of. They are not great at anything except keeping your feet dry. With a couple of layers of socks warm too. But that is the most important thing around here. Nothing will drive you inside on a cold spring day faster than cold wet feet.

Talking about outerwear, I got some spam from a very well known outfitter today. Pushing a spring sale on rain gear. As with boots breath ability is an oversold feature. I have expensive rain gear with a breathable “waterproof” layer. It is OK in light rain or for a little while in heavy rain, but lousy for being out in the rain all day. It simply does not keep you dry no matter what the claim. I’ve spent way too much money on this sort of gear, only to be disappointed in really wet conditions. I have found the cheaper, non breathable rain gear works best. It really keeps you dry. The stuff I use is low tech nylon backed PVC. Rather than being breathable it has baffles and vents. It works great.

I propose the following test before accepting new rain gear. Dress in cotton tee shirt and cotton trousers, cotton socks. Why cotton? Because it is the worst when wet. When cotton is wet you know it. Put on your waterproof shoes, and rain gear. Get in the shower and set the temperature so it is just above full cold. Stay there for an hour. If you are still dry after an hour, you are probably going to be OK. If you can stand it, stay in there another hour. If you are still dry after two hours, then your really will be fine. Two hours seems like a sever test, but think about being in the field. Two hours is nothing. If the rain is heavy you want to stay dry.

Since I am on the subject I want to complain about the impossibility of head wear that works well for birding in the rain. The hood on good rain gear keeps your head dry but you can’t hear the birds. For me, someone who listens and hears birds, usually before I see them, that is lousy. I have yet to find a suitable rain hat. One that really works and channels the water someplace other than down my neck. If I could get a good rain hat I wouldn’t need a hood. But then with the hood down it catches the rain. You can’t seem to win. It would not be too hard to design really good rain gear for people who spend a lot of time outdoors in the field. Maybe I should look for the stuff commercial fishermen wear. Can you still buy a nor’easter hat?

Binoculars in the rain are problematic. They fog up no matter what. I once toyed with a design for a battery operated anti fog system for binoculars. It was too complicated and cumbersome. If someone could develop glass suitable for binoculars that could be heated to stay fog free in the rain, they could sell a pair to every serious birder. We would not care if the optics were inferior to our regular glass, in the wet they would be superior to fogged lenses.