Downtown Cleveland from the Summit of Gildersleeve Mountain

April 28, 2007

I did not go to the lake. It is cool and wet. 44° here, probably warmer along the lake, but raining on and off. In the cloudy early light, I see a lot of movement on the ground. White-throated Sparrows. My first of the season. 18 by a quick count Some the very bright morph and others the more subdued.

I went out to walk around and listen. Cardinals, Song Sparrows, Juncos, Chickadees, Bluebirds, Robins, the Piliated, Downy and Red Bellied. The Nuthatch going “digit digit” and the White-throated Sparrows “toooo we we wee”

I never really got the attachment of English language phrases to bird songs. The White-throated Sparrow supposedly goes: “poor Sam Peabody Peabody”. That is a real stretch for me, as are most of these attempts at Anglicizing bird songs.

Still notable by its’ absence, the Phoebe. Since seeing the single individual a week ago, no further sign. I really fear the cold snap may have devastated their population here on the higher elevations.

As I write, I spy a black, white, and rose red. The Rose-breasted Grosbeak, another first for the season. Soon Mrs. Rose-breasted Grosbeak is on the feeder. Studying me as she eats. Mr., joins her. She is physically bigger than he by about 10%. He is not eating, just hanging out with her. Now that they are here, the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks will be common visitors to the feeders until they leave in September

Back a ways, a Gray Squirrel is higher in a tree than they usually venture. A Blue Jay dives straight down on the Squirrel. The Blue Jay must have a nest up there.

From the same direction a Chickadee making a sortie to a feeder. It comes in from a good 100 yards out, in a fast, shallow, dive. Not stopping, through the branches, right onto the feeder.

Who needs television when you have a show like this?

I was cleaning up by the back door and found two more feathers from the Sharp-shinned Hawk. P1 and P2 so the Sharpie lost the first 3 primaries of the right wing in its’ run on the feeder.

The feeder in front is empty. No seed. My earlier effort to deter the Raccoon was unsuccessful. A Chickadee sees me as I walk by. It lets me know the feeder is empty in the usual way. Banging the window then flying to the feeder. OK, I will try plan B. Before I refill the feeder I spread habanero chili sauce inside the feeder where the Raccoon will get it on its’ little hand. I mix red pepper into the sunflower seed. The birds don’t seem to be effected by the picante' capsicum. I know the Raccoon will react to the pepper like a bear. Some ground habanero mixed with bacon grease bait the bottom of the pole and will complete the deterrent.

Raccoons are undesirables around the house in this area. They are potentially rabid and the state division of wildlife has been spreading vaccine packets for several years in Lake County. Raccoons do not have an agreeable demeanor to begin with. They are aggressive and quickly learn to associate humans as a source of food.

As I am putting out the bacon grease mixture, a small, gray furred, animal with a pointed nose darts out to grab a seed. A Short tailed Shrew. Common but seldom seen. Shrews are fast moving and vicious. They will kill and eat animals larger than they are. Humans are a bit out of their league though, so I am not worried.

Once the rain stops I take a walk. I have not seen the Red-tailed Hawks for a while, so I decided to go look at their nest. It is along an area that was selectively cut in 2006. The logging left most of the Beech trees and any trees under 12 inches in diameter. This area should be interesting over the next few years as the new growth springs up in the new sunny areas. I am surprised to see the large areas of grass. I find a pile of sugaring buckets. The loggers must have put all they found here. Not one is serviceable. Perhaps none were, or perhaps the loggers took the ones still in good shape.

The reason I have not seen the Red-tails is because they have abandoned their nest. In the cut area I find Hermit Thrush, Northern Flicker, and Tufted Titmouse. A Titmouse flies to a branch above me and does the feed me, fluttering of wings. I wonder if this bird recognizes me?

The Red-tail calls to the north and flies a big low semi circle staying about 200 yards away. It lands in a tree to the south. Maybe they have a new nest? I search about 30 acres but have no luck locating it.

In the course of my search I disturb 6 White-tailed Deer who were loafing in the area. They don’t like having to get up and snort with displeasure.

Climbing to the summit of Gildersleeve Mountain I find white trillium in bloom. ferns are uncurling in the ledges. There are quite a few people so little bird activity. By the time I reach the look out the forecasted clearing is beginning. I can see shadows and the sun works through the clouds. Visibility is about 15 miles. Downtown is visible but only as a silhouette through the haze.

The Sharpie comes soaring by. There is wind out of the northwest creating ridge lift. A Great Blue Heron flies southwest about half a mile away.

With the clearing skies the temperature is rising rapidly. in the 2 and 1/2 hours I was outside the temperature has risen 10 °. An interesting day. While the lake might have offered more variety, there was plenty here to keep me occupied