Downtown Cleveland from the Summit of Gildersleeve Mountain

April 2, 2007

The day is beauty! Clear sunny mid 60’s. It is the golden time of day. The beautiful light of the early evening Just beauty.

I saw my first water strider of the year on the creek and my first Morning cloak Butterfly.

Visibility was only about 20 miles. There was a line of mist way out over the lake that was interesting. Because it was not even, it looked almost like the northern shore. Canada is 54 miles away and the horizon from the look out is 27 miles. It is easy to see how someone might make a mistake on a day like today

The Red-bellied Woodpecker just stopped by to get some seed from the feeder. He is just heavy enough to tilt the pivot closed but knows how to shift his weight so it will open back up. Squirrel proof feeders reduce conflict and provide good feelings all around. I have mine set to keep the Blue Jays off.

The Red-tails just exchanged places at the nest. They are only about 150 yards back behind the house. Once there are leaves on the trees I wont be able to see them. With the leaves not yet out I have a nice view of their activities. I tend to leave them alone. If I get within 100 yards of their nest they will get upset.

A Red-shouldered Hawk just came over. I wonder what is going on? The Tail and Shoulder are in very close proximity. Oh, and now the tail has come back to the nest from a different direction. I can only guess about the social dynamics among the local hawks.

The Black-capped Chickadees are busy coming in to the feeder. A female Tufted Titmouse was popping around fluttering her wings, doing the feed me gesture. No males responded. Maybe a little early in the season.

The Eastern Bluebirds continue to check the boxes in the front yard. The pair that nested last year raised 2 broods.


Today the Supreme Court Ruled the EPA can regulate greenhouse gases. This was such wonderful news.