Downtown Cleveland from the Summit of Gildersleeve Mountain

April 7.2007

More snow today. The birds are mobbing the feeders. Lots of Goldfinches. Many almost fully molted into their bright yellow plumage. Since Wednesday more than a foot of snow taking the total for the season to 128 inches.

I lead a hike at the Arboretum this morning. To Carver Pond, a 9 acre beaver pond, and along the East Branch of the Chagrin River to the Baldwin property. The snow was pretty in the Hemlocks along the valley. The birds were pretty good too. Especially given the weather. Carver Pond had lots of Phoebes. at least 10 individuals. They were everywhere as we circled the pond A Rusty Blackbird, a breeding plumage Horned Grebe, and my first Yellow-rumped Warbler of the year were the highlights there. In the woods along the valley in Upper Baldwin a Hermit Thrush put on a wonderful show. Circling us and then perching so close we got great naked eye looks. This bird was especially cute all fluffed up and round. It was interesting how the bird was following my narration for the group. When I described the spotted breast the bird sat to show us its’ breast and when I talked about the red tail it showed its’ red tail. Leading someone in the group to ask If I was paying the bird. Pure coincidence (I think), but fun.

The hike this morning is one of the great hikes in the region. It is is along a state scenic river and though pristine second growth forest. It is interesting to read in the Arboretum magazine that very few people know the horse trails well enough to lead tours in the remote natural areas. I guess I am one of them. Today was a case in point. The group did not want to cross the river. None had heeded the hike guidelines and worn waterproof footwear. I had anticipated this and given the cold weather had an alternate route in mind. It was a way I had never gone on that traverse, but I had been on all of the tails before. Except for about 500 meters that is. But I made the connections and found the unmarked and obscure snow covered trails without difficulty.

Holden has a new push for volunteers, with the tag line: “Let your hands be a force of nature.” One of the 3 pictures is my hand passing a Wandering Glider dragonfly to young girl. Funny. Someone in the Arboretum’s advertising function likes that picture. They seem to use it a lot. Amusing to think my hands are a “force of nature”. They are in the literal sense, everyone’s hands are.

I talked to my friend Carol about the behavior of the Phoebe yesterday. She has a Ph.D. in biology and did her dissertation on the behavior on Tamarin Monkeys. She speculates the Phoebe has seen the other birds get fed by through this behavior and perhaps thought I might have some food for it too. She suggested I get some meal worms